Saturday, August 25, 2007

Testing the FullTilt Bankroll


The Disney Cruise was great fun for all. As soon as we got off the ship, both of my kids asked when we can go on another cruise. Like we can just book one for next month…

Many, many weeks ago, I cashed in some of my 40,000+ FullTilt points for two books – “The Poker Mindset” and the FullTilt tournament strategy compendium with chapters written by all the famous poker immortals associated with FullTilt. I ordered these specifically with the thought that I would read these on the cruise.

The books did not arrive before we left for vacation. I said, “Dammit, these are the two books that I want to read on the vacation. Is that too much to ask?” So, I went and bought the FullTilt tournament book. I was able to read parts of a few chapters on the trip. Kids are time eaters, even on vacations. The Post-Flop NL chapter by Ted Forrest was great, and reinforces much of what I have written in this blog about feel for the game and the Zen mindset that can set in with deep concentration at the table.

Of course, when I got back from vacation, the two books that I had ordered from FullTilt had arrived. Some poker friend will be the recipient of a shiny copy of the FullTilt tournament book in the hear future…

*********

I can’t bring myself to spend 25,000 points and order a FullTilt jersey. But the football jersey would be cool. I would just feel like a complete geek wearing that in public, even thought I am, in all honesty, a complete poker and chip-collecting geek. It would be cool to have my name on the back, but it’s the logo thing on the front that would make me feel embarrassed. Unless I was playing at a final table at the WSOP and FullTilt was paying me to wear their logo. Maybe some day.

**********

I emptied my FullTilt account of everything but $2000 (voluntarily). Then I went on a bad streak and ran it down to around $700. Exactly $800 of the losses were due to two bad beats at the $2/4 NL tables. Upon further review, my official definition of a “bad beat” is when I lose a hand after getting all the chips in the pot as a 75% or greater favorite. I guess I should not be playing $2/4 NL when I only have 5 buy-ins, but I play better at a level that at least feels slightly meaningful.

So after I hit the $700 mark, I decided to play only $100 buy-in or higher SNGs. Again, not optimal bankroll management (for just my FullTilt bankroll), but what the hell. I play better when there is more at stake. I concentrate more carefully on each decision when I reach a certain cash threshold. As for SNGs, that threshold seems to be $100 for me.

I was playing well and got an average run of cards, and the FullTilt account is back to around $1400. Full recovery to $2000 is the goal, and then I’m going to try the Bad Bankroll Management Challenge.

***********

I really like the heads-up SNGs. I am involved in every hand and constantly make decisions. I like reading my opponents patterns. It’s the best way that I have found, on-line, to replicate what I like about live play – reading the opponent. At a full on-line table, the other players are just so many avatars. But heads-up, I can focus exclusively on one opponent and his patterns. I’ve had good success in heads-up play, and its more fun for me.

I like playing a single-table SNG and a heads-up SNG at the same time. The heads-up table takes enough of my concentration to ensure that I don’t get bored with the full table and play too many hands, or over play medium-strength hands. The heads-up table essentially provides more patience to wait for the best hands at the full table.

Even at the $100 SNG level, its amazing how many players still make huge mistakes. Like pushing 44 after an EP raise at the third level with an average-sized stack. Or pushing middle pair on the flop during the third level when the stack sizes still allow plenty of room to play.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

Totally, I’m a sucker for it, significant and well-founded ideas. You should come up with more fascinating content in your.