Tuesday, July 24, 2007

We're supposed to be having fun.

I watched as much of the WSOP Main Event final table, live, as time would allow that evening. Overall, I was tremendously disappointed. The players were far too stoic to make for good viewing. Nothing against the players or their style, just not good to watch.

For me, poker is a hobby. Poker is a card game. Poker is fun. I realize that there are many players that make their living playing poker. Good for them. But, I will never do that. Even if I make a huge hit in a tournament at some point and win life-changing money, poker will still be my hobby.

Consequently, when I see players claiming that God answered their prayers and brought a set on the flop or a winning pair on the river, poker ceases to be fun. Its fine that some players make a living at the game, or that they are winning enough to allow them to quit their jobs, but don’t lose the humor. Don’t lose the fun.

Take baseball. Its is a game that is fun to play and watch. There are many people that make their living from baseball, but at that level its still a game that is played for viewing entertainment. When players lose site of the fact that it’s a game played for entertainment, the game ceases to be fun for the viewers.

When it comes to poker, I want to see leather-assed Texas road gamblers. I want to see Scandinavian uber-nerds that employ bizarre games-theory techniques. I want to see Vegas rounders that are living from tournament to tournament. I want to see professional gamblers that are gambling. I want to see wealthy Iranian and Israeli guys with thick accents needling their opponents to gamble it up. I want to watch loud Americans with swollen egos that think they are the center of the universe. I do not want to watch or play with stoic monks that pray for God to alter the order of the cards so that they can provide a better life for their family. That’s a virtuous endeavor with plenty of merit, but its not fun poker, either in person or on TV.

Each player is free to play the game as he wishes, but that doesn’t mean that I have to like it. A selfish but honest perspective.

No comments: